How to choose a wedding makeup artist
The wedding day is one of the most important days in the life of a woman. Every bride wants to look beautiful, stylish, and enjoy herself on this day. Preparing for a wedding often begins with choosing the two most valuable elements – the dress and a professional makeup artist.
Here are my tips for choosing a bridal makeup artist:
- My first and foremost recommendation is to choose a makeup artist whose energy is spiritually close to you. The bride’s wedding morning begins with a meeting with a make up artist. What will be in the beginning – so the day will pass. Therefore, the master should be energetically comfortable, pleasant, and positive.
- Look for information about makeup artists in different channels – through a google search, on Instagram and Facebook, on specific platforms for makeup artists, and ask your friends. With this approach, you maximize your chances of finding the best specialists in the city you need. For example, in Lisbon, Portugal.
- As you look at different makeup artists, evaluate their work styles in portfolio. Look at both photos and videos. Works on the website or Instagram often present the typical style of the master. Because every professional has his favorite types of makeup that he does best. Don’t hire a makeup artist who works mostly with bright makeup if you want light and natural bride makeup. And vice versa.
- Do a little internet research, pick up a few examples of looks, makeup, and hairstyles that you like. Both in the portfolio of the artists you plan to choose from, and just any other looks you like. This set of references will help in the future in working with your makeup artist and stylist to determine your unique wedding look style, color, and mood.
- When you determine 2-3 “finalists” – make-up artists, invite them to meet personally or by video call before the final decision. Personal communication always provides an opportunity to discuss work in more detail, ask questions and get to know each other better. Written correspondence alone does not provide the entire spectrum of high-quality interaction.
- Find out what brands of cosmetics the makeup artist works with. It also indirectly speaks of his level and professionalism. For example, there are luxury and professional brands in my make-up case. I often update my products and follow trends. My brides in Portugal love it when I use Dior glow serum, Charlotte Tilbury magic palette, Pat McGrath veil powder, Giorgio Armaniarmani luminous silk foundation, Makeup by Mario iconic shadows, Hourglass perfect highlighter, Pet McGrath blushes, and more.
- Be sure to tell the makeup artist about the specific features of your skin. For example, if your skin becomes more sensitive or prone to dryness in summer. Or maybe you plan to make facial procedures just before the wedding. Every detail about your skin will help the makeup artist prepare better and create the perfect bridal makeup for you.
- If your time and finances allow, I highly recommend doing a make-up trial a few days before the event. It will protect you from surprises on your wedding day. Together you will choose the most suitable style and image for you.
I hope my sincere advice will help you to choose the best makeup artist for your bride makeup. And on one of the most important days in your life, you will be the most beautiful, stylish, and happy!
Author: Julia Yatel